Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Dangers Of Social Networking Sites

Social networking sites... Facebook, Myspace, and the like. Americans cannot like without it. 24/7, our friends, bosses, Grandma and Grandpa are on it. We think it is harmless, posting pictures and blogs that talk about things we think nothing about.

Monday, during my off days, my phone rang with my work listed on the caller ID. I did not answer because it was work calling me. Two minutes later, the phone rings again. This time, it was my coworker, Alex, on caller ID. I remember she works today. I answer and she was crying.
"What's wrong?", I ask.
"Are you home?"
"Yes I am. What's the matter?"
"I'll tell you in a minute."
So in a minute, she knocks at the door. I answer and she cries, "I'm sorry for getting us suspended for two days." I was thinking "What the fuck? What's going on?" I didn't know what to say, I was in trying to figure everything out.
Yesterday, Sunday, I showed her how to post video on Youtube and how to put a link to it on Facebook. This video, we shot at work during some free time, of us sneaking into the kitchen to grab a coffee pot to make coffee. The boss is a "friend" of hers on Facebook. He sees the video and decides to have a talk with her.
In the end, we both get suspended, just because of us doing this video while we're supposed to be working. During five minutes of our time that we have nothing to do, we're caught up with everything on a slow weekend. But NO, this is a company violation. Fucking stupid!
We hear stuff like this all the time on the news, how someone gets fired or gets in trouble because of something they post on a social networking site. It was during business hours on Monday that the boss logs on Facebook and sees this video.
So kids, think before you post. Think about all the scenarios that may take place when you post something on a website. Who will see it? Who will be offended by it? Is it necessary that you post it? Normally this would be nothing, but because our department is the red-headed step kid of the company, and the GM is Lucifer, this harmless event is as bad as Armageddon.

No comments:

Post a Comment