This has been a very stressful work week for me. First I hear about a coworker, Alex and me getting suspended. Then confessing to the bosses about it and going through a counseling session about how to be a good leader. During that talk I gave an example of a situation that happened a couple weekends ago and wondered how I should have handled it. Then I signed the paper work and took 7 hours (the rest of the day) off with no pay, along with six months probation.
Same thing for Alex. But she got two days suspension.
Back at work the next day, everything seemed good, like if nothing happened. The bosses are smiling at me, joking with me, saying hi. Seemed like a cult. Later on, I passed by the closed door of the boss and hear screams of "I'm sorry, it won't happen again!" come from Jan, a coworker who was the subject of the example I gave during my suspension meeting. A few minutes later one of the bosses comes to me and says they talked to Jan about being on the phone during newscasts and it won't happen again. I said "thank you".
Now this is Jan... a 50 something, single mother of two delinquent teenage girls, who is on antidepressants. She is the weakest link of our department, cannot do ANYTHING right. She always brings personal problems to work and therefore cannot do her job. And when you snap at her to pay attention, or correct her, she lets it linger in her head and it interferes with what she does in the present, therefore she screws up even more.
Well, even later in the day, I see Jan working on a graphic on a computer I need to use. I ask her how long she's going to be. She looks really distressed and nervous. She's complaining about why she can't get the graphic to look right. I look at it and say do this and that and never forget to do this. Long story short, she couldn't concentrate on a simple graphic that a monkey can do because of what was said to her in the office. "Why do I feel like everyone is after me?" I gave her a little pep talk and moved on.
Friday comes around, the day when Alex returns from her 2 day suspension. Her annual review is today also, so I advised her not to be rude, not to piss anyone off, and to tell the truth, except for the stuff we've been talking about.
An hour into the work shift, I hear Jan get paged into the boss's office. At that moment, I had a feeling someone was going to get booted today.
During the Five o'clock news, I was in an edit bay working on a commercial. The boss comes in and asks if I was busy.
I said "Just working on some promos."
"I want you to go out on the studio floor and take over for Jan on camera and tell her to come see me."
So I did that. Both camera operators, Jan and Alex, see me walk in and put on a headset. I walk over to Jan and tell her to go see Mark.
As Jan left the studio, I look at Alex and shrug my shoulders. A small grin appears on her face. We both thought Jan was getting fired. About fucking time! Should've been done a long time ago!
But the story has a twist...
Jan later comes back with Mark. Mark takes Alex away. This isn't looking good. My stomach is churning. What is going on? I look at Jan and she looks at me with a smirk.
Alex comes back in, with Mark behind her. She puts away her headset and heads back out. I feel like puking now.
After the newscast we were told that she was fired. No reason given.
During dinner break, I call Alex up to find out what happened. She said during a taping we do at the start of our shift, she and Jan got into an argument about where to place the camera. Just an exchange of words, probably with cursing involved. But that's why.
I feel really bad about it. Alex just started probation and she fucked up with a "minor" incident. She... we wouldn't be on probation if I, as a director, as supervisor that day last weekend, put a stop to her wanting to video tape something during work time. And that would've kept me from meeting with the boss and having him lecture me about leadership, which would've kept me from giving that example of what Jan did of being on the phone, which would've not stressed Jan out by being corrected, which may have prevented her from being temperamental with Alex and prevented the argument.
Bad week.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment